When nursing homes make mistakes that harm their residents, they deserve to be held financially responsible. Since 1994, the attorneys at Malman Law have been helping nursing home residents and their families fight for just compensation for nursing home staff administration failures. If you or a loved one has suffered serious physical, emotional, or psychological injuries as a result of negligent nursing home care in the Chicagoland area, we want to help you stand up for your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Common Examples of Nursing Home Staff Administration Failures
Many nursing home residents rely on their caretakers to provide for their most basic needs, including food and medication. Among nursing homes’ many duties to their residents, these are perhaps both the most fundamental and the most important. Unfortunately, whether due to negligence or intentional abuse, many nursing home staff members fail to provide adequate nutrition and properly administer residents’ medications. When this happens, victims can seek financial compensation for their injuries and losses.
Staff Administration Failure: Inadequate Nutrition and Hydration
With studies showing that as many as 85 percent of all nursing home residents may suffer from either malnutrition or dehydration, it is clear that many nursing home staff members are not doing their jobs. For older adults, these conditions can be extremely dangerous, often putting them at increased risk for conditions such as bedsores and infectious diseases. Malnutrition and dehydration can also cause:
- Loss of muscle mass
- Impaired cognitive functioning
- Weakened or compromised immune system
- Complications relating to insulin resistance and diabetes
For elderly nursing home residents, these conditions can lead to further complications as well. In some cases, they can ultimately be fatal.
As a result, nursing home staff should be adequately trained to provide proper nutrition and hydration, and administrators should be ensuring that their homes’ residents are not becoming malnourished or dehydrated. Simply put, no one should suffer from malnutrition or dehydration while living in a nursing home, and those who do should seek prompt medical attention and hire a lawyer to fight for just compensation.
Staff Administration Failure: Medication Errors
Medication errors can lead to severe – and potentially fatal – complications as well. Here, too, staff members need to be adequately trained and fully qualified to administer patients’ medications. Nurses and other staff members who administer medications should:
- Know when and how often each medication needs to be taken
- Follow the instructions for providing medications with food or liquid
- Avoid dangerous drug interactions, including those between prescriptions and over-the-counter medications
- Ensure that residents receive all of their medications as prescribed
- Keep track of residents’ medications and make sure they do not run out
Alarmingly, many nursing home staff members are either unable or unwilling to properly administer residents’ medications. Common medication errors in nursing homes include:
- Accidental overdose or underdose
- Confusing different medications
- Failing to identify or respond to dangerous side effects
- Purposefully overdosing patients to sedate them
- Withholding medications as a form of punishment or abuse
Accidental and intentional medication errors can require immediate medical attention, but when staff member make these mistakes, they are often hesitant to report them out of fear of the consequences. Not only can this result in a potentially fatal delay in medical attention after an error, but it can also make finding evidence more difficult. However, at Malman Law, our attorneys and on-staff Registered Nurse are skilled at identifying medication errors and helping victims successfully pursue money damages for their losses.
Other Forms of Nursing Home Negligence and Abuse
Along with nutritional and medication errors, nursing home staff members regularly commit numerous other forms of negligence and abuse as well. Regardless of what happened, if a nursing home staff or administration failure has led to you or your loved one suffering serious injuries, at Malman Law we want to help you fight for maximum compensation.
The following is a small sampling of some of our recent case results. For more examples, you can browse our Success Stories.
- $1.7 million recovered for an elderly nursing home resident whose leg had to be amputated after a staff member pushed his bed against a radiator (leading to severe burns) rather than fixing a broken bed rail.
- $390,000 recovered for the estate of a bedridden stroke victim who suffered fatal complications from pressure ulcers sustained in a nursing home. The staff members treating our client had not reported the ulcers or taken steps to prevent the ensuing complications, and could not even distinguish between different stages of ulcers.
- $300,000 recovered for a nursing home resident who fractured his hip after falling out of bed. Even though our client was a known fall risk, staff members had not taken adequate steps to protect him.
Contact a Nursing Home Negligence Attorney at Chicago’s Malman Law Today
To learn more about your legal rights if you or a family member has been a victim of nursing home staff administration failure, we encourage you to contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. Please call (888) 751-2297 or contact us online to speak with an attorney today.