Compassionate Andersonville Law Firm Ready to Fight for Your Family
Andersonville promotes itself as “a quaint neighborhood in the middle of a world-class city”,and this description couldn’t be more accurate. Events such as the Andersonville Farmer’s Market and Andersonville Arts Week attract visitors from all over Chicago and beyond.
Andersonville’s 100,000 plus residents include thousands of elderly people, some of whom reside in nursing homes. It is never easy to send your loved one to a nursing home, but sometimes the needs of an elderly person simply cannot be met any other way. When something goes wrong, it can be shocking to discover that your loved one has been betrayed by the very institution charged with his or her welfare.
Preparing a Nursing Home Abuse Claim
Preparing an effective nursing home abuse claim requires:
- tracing your loved one’s malady to abuse, so that it can be stopped immediately
- establishing the nursing home’s liability for the abuse though admissible evidence
- calculating your loved one’s damages, including intangible damages such as pain and suffering
All of these activities require considerable skill and investigative resources.
We Win 95 Percent of the Time
Historically, at Malman Law clients have won 95 percent of their claims. That doesn’t mean 95 out of 100 clients – it means 95 percent of over 20,000 clients, enough people to fill a sports arena. It all adds up to over $200 million in recovered compensation to date. Among these, only about five percent of our cases go to trial – the rest are settled out of court.
“If anyone has a problem and is in need of help call Malman Law. At Malman Law you are not just a client, you are part of the family.” – Donyell G
Some of Our Other Practice Areas
Our experience spans just about any type of personal injury claim, including:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1) What obligations do nursing homes have with respect to residents’ finances?
Nursing homes are regulated in this area at both the state and federal levels.
- A nursing home may not misappropriate a resident’s assets.
- A nursing home may not negligently allow someone else to misappropriate a resident’s assets.
- A nursing home may not demand custody of any resident assets as a condition for receiving care.
- Resident funds must be placed in interest-bearing accounts, if the nursing home has custody over them.
2) How common is nursing home abuse?
According to the National Center on Elder Abuse, nearly half of all nursing home residents say they have been abused, and 95 percent say they have either experienced neglect or seen another resident experience neglect. The residents with the best chance of restitution are the ones who are willing and able to stand up for their rights and those who have loved ones willing to stand up on their behalf.
3) What kinds of damages are available in a nursing home abuse wrongful death lawsuit?
The following types of damages are commonly awarded, depending on the facts of each individual case:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of love and emotional support (by relatives)
4) Do I win my claim if I can prove the nursing home violated a regulation?
Under Illinois law, proving the violation of a safety regulation amounts to “prima facie evidence of negligence”. Normally, the burden of proof is on the plaintiff (you) when asserting abuse or negligence. But when a regulation is violated, the burden of proof shifts to the nursing home who must now prove that the violation did not amount to negligence. However, please keep in mind that even when negligence is found to have happened – you still have to prove that it caused the harm sustained by the victim.
Malman Law’s Zero Fee Guarantee
Because of our 95 percent victory rate, we can afford to offer you this guarantee – if we fail to win compensation for you our services will be completely free of charge. Even if we win, your bill won’t come due until your compensation arrives. What all of this adds up to is that it is essentially the opposing party who pays your legal fees, not you.
Act Immediately to Protect Your Loved One. Contact Andersonville’s Trusted Nursing Home Negligence Law Firm
If you suspect nursing home abuse, you cannot afford to wait until it becomes obvious. A Chicago nursing home abuse lawyer can help you determine whether or not abuse is occurring. Call us today at (312) 629-0099 (toll-free at 1-888-625-6265), or fill out our online contact form, so that we can set up a free consultation to discuss your case. And if you can’t come to us, we’ll come to you.