How Much Is a Personal Injury Case Worth?
One of the most common questions our Chicago personal injury attorneys are asked by potential clients is how much their personal injury case is worth. Unfortunately, there is really no formula for coming up with an exact number. However, there are certain factors that are generally taken into consideration when personal injury compensation is awarded, which are:
• How severe is your injury? Many different things are based on this one issue, including whether or not you will be able to make a full recovery or whether you will be able to return to work and what the time period might be on one or both of those events.
• Does the liable insurance company accept fault?
• What is your condition following medical treatment? Have you recovered fully? Are you expected to make a full recovery at some point if not?
• Will your condition require ongoing treatment (ie physical therapy or counseling)? If so, for how long? It is possible that your personal injury compensation will include an amount to cover the cost of ongoing medical treatment, both retroactively and in the future.
• Were you partially at fault or negligent? Some examples or partial fault or negligence on your part may include if you were behaving recklessly or under the influence of drugs or alcohol when you sustained the injury.
• What is your attorney’s experience? Working with a Chicago personal injury attorney who has experience negotiating these types of cases with insurance companies or other liable parties can have a significant outcome on your case.
The above are just a few of the things that may affect the outcome of your personal injury case and determine the amount of compensation you are awarded. It is important to keep in mind many different things when deciding what a “fair” amount is for a personal injury. For this reason, it is advisable to speak with a Chicago personal injury attorney if you feel that you are not receiving adequate compensation. This is also important if you have been offered an amount by an insurance company but are unsure whether it is appropriate.
Many personal injuries cause pain, suffering, medical bills and loss of income. You deserve to be compensated fairly for all of the above.
DISCLAIMER: All information on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Malman Law shall not be liable for any errors or inaccuracies contained herein, or any actions taken in reliance thereon.