Experienced Calumet City Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Defending Your Loved One
People with aging loved ones face a dilemma. Their loved ones require care that they cannot provide, yet they are reluctant to trust a stranger with the care of a cherished family member. Placing an elderly loved one in a nursing home is an act of trust. When that trust is betrayed through nursing home abuse, justice demands a response. Your response should be to call the caring and commited Calumet City Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers.
Given the frequent health problems suffered by the elderly, one of the most difficult aspects of many potential nursing home abuse claims is the difficulty in establishing whether or not abuse took place at all. A skilled nursing home abuse lawyer can help you make this determination, and take decisive action once abuse is established.
At Malman Law, We Put Our Money Where Our Mouth Is
Endless superlatives – such as “top-tier” and “unparalleled” – get tiring after a while. We believe that dull, dry numbers are far more meaningful. Numbers like these:
- Over 25 years of practicing exclusively in the field of personal injury law
- Over 20,000 clients compensated through our efforts
- Over $200,000,000 in compensation awarded to our clients over the years
- 95 percent of our clients win their claims
- 95 percent of our winning clients receive compensation without ever having to walk into a courtroom
A Word from a Client
“This firm has gone above and beyond to keep me updated and get answers to my questions at any time, weekends included! Malman Law rules in my opinion!” – Cheryl Wagemann
More About Calumet City, IL near Chicago
Calumet City – known to locals as Cal City – welcomes visitors from near and far with its famous Smiley Towers. An unusually large segment of Cal City’s population consists of senior citizens living alone. Some live in local nursing homes, while others reside in nursing homes elsewhere in Greater Chicago.
Other Types of Personal Injury Claims We Handle
Our lawyers are used to handling a wide variety of personal injury claims, including:
- Vehicle accidents
- Worker’s Compensation
- Medical malpractice
- Slip and fall accidents
- Product liability
- Dog bites
- Wrongful death claims
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1) How can I determine the quality of my loved one’s nursing home?
If the facility accepts Medicare/Medicaid, you can look up its rating on the federal Medicare website. This webpage includes a search function that indexes nursing homes by name and location. It lists the nursing home’s overall rating, the result of health inspections, and similar data.
2) How do I file an administrative complaint against a nursing home? What happens next?
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) maintains a Nursing Home Abuse Hotline (800-252-4343) for complaints. After receiving a complaint, the IDPH Bureau of Long-term Care might decide to commence an investigation. It can fine, sanction, or even shut down any nursing home found to have violated state or federal statutes and regulations.
3) What are the most common legal theories used to win nursing home abuse claims?
The most common legal theories are based on:
- Negligent supervision and care
- Negligent hiring of employees
- Negligent maintenance of facilities
- Assault and battery by staff
- Inadequate security (resulting in assault and battery by visitors or other patients, for example)
4) What are my legal options if I suspect abuse?
Depending on the circumstances, you may have four options. If circumstances warrant, you can pursue more than one of these options at the same time.
- file an administrative complaint to stop the abuse
- open negotiations with the nursing home or its insurer seeking settlement funds
- file a civil lawsuit seeking damages
- file a criminal complaint with the local prosecutor seeking an arrest
Nursing home abuse – especially passive neglect – is particularly likely in private, for-profit nursing homes. This is due to the company’s financial bottom line being more important to the administration than patient care. For example, to save money, the institution may be understaffed or the nursing home may have hired unqualified workers who were not subjected to expensive background checks.
You Only Pay If You Win
At Malman Law, we charge no upfront fees. In fact, we won’t ask you for a dime until your case is over and done with. In the unlikely event that you don’t receive any compensation from the other side, you won’t receive a bill from us. That is our Zero Fee Guarantee. We don’t think you should pay for nothing, and we won’t charge you for nothing.
Take Prompt Action to Protect Your Loved One. Calumet City Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Are Here To Help
If you suspect nursing home abuse, pick up the phone today and call us at (312) 629-0099 (toll-free at 1-888-625-6265), or fill out our online contact form, so that we can schedule you a free case consultation with our Calumet City Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers. Even if you can’t come to us, we can come to you.