Chicago’s Qualified Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Intersection Accident Victims
Close to half of all traffic accidents occur at intersections, and the accident is usually the fault of one of the motorists. If you have been injured in an intersection accident and you are laid up in the hospital or trying to recover at home, you are not in a good position to be negotiating with an auto insurance company, Insurance companies know this, and they take advantage of it.
They won’t take advantage of any of our clients, however, because we won’t let them. At Malman Law, it really makes us angry when insurance companies try to take advantage of our client’s vulnerability simply to pad their own bottom line. We know all of their tricks, and we won’t fall for a single one of them.
Common Insurance Company Tricks
It is impossible to list all of the sharp negotiating tactics available to a skilled insurance adjustor. Some of the most common, however, are:
- Bait and switch (agreeing to “accept liability” and then denying most of your claim later)
- Sending a representative to the hospital while you are still in pain to collect your signature on a quick but inadequate settlement agreement
- Lulling you into missing the statute of limitation deadlines through numerous small delays
The Numbers Speak for Themselves
In 20 years of practicing personal injury law, we have won compensation for over 15,000 clients. Insurance companies know our name, and their attitude towards settlement negotiations tends to change rather quickly when they discover that we are the ones representing the injured party. We really can’t blame them for that, since we win 95 percent of our cases.
A Word From One of Our Clients
“Two years ago, I was involved in a trucking accident involving a 14-wheeler truck that nearly disabled me for life. Steve fought to make sure that I received the most possible compensation for my injuries. I was about to take the insurance company’s lowball offer, but decided to call Steve first – it was the best decision I’ve made yet.” – Malman Law Client
Our Practice Areas
Below is an incomplete list of the kinds of cases we handle:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the rules for approaching intersections?
The rules for approaching an intersection are simple:
- Yield to whoever will reach the intersection first.
- If you are approaching the intersection at the same time as another vehicle, yield to the other vehicle if it is to your right.
- Of course, you don’t have to yield if the other vehicle is required to stop at the intersection (if you have a green light, for example).
What are the main causes of intersection accidents?
The four most common causes of intersection accidents are:
- Running a stop light or stop sign
- Making an illegal U-turn. In Illinois, U-turns at intersections are illegal unless posted otherwise.
- Turning into oncoming traffic
- Navigating a rural intersection that has no stoplight or stop sign
Should I speak with the insurance company?
No, because they will be trying to elicit a statement from you that they can use against you later. Instead, send a letter notifying the at-fault driver’s insurance company of the accident. Include:
- Your name
- The place and date of the accident
- A brief description of your injury, and
- The date of the letter
Keep a copy of the letter for your records. It is best to have your lawyer check over the letter before you send it.
Can I win punitive damages if the at-fault driver was intoxicated at the time of the accident?
Illinois allows punitive damages only if you also win compensatory damages. To win punitive damages, you must prove that the defendant’s conduct was outrageous in some way. While a DUI case is a good candidate for punitive damages, there is no guarantee.
Malman Law’s Zero Fee Guarantee
At Malman Law, we don’t get paid unless you do. If we don’t win compensation for your injuries, your legal bill will total precisely $0.00. We charge no upfront fees, and your bill won’t come due until your settlement or verdict actually arrives.
Fortune Favors the Bold With Your Intersection Accident Claim
The cold reality of personal injury litigation is that the sooner you begin pursuing your claim in earnest, the better your chances will be. From the moment we take your case, will commit to making sure you receive every dime you deserve within a reasonable time. Call us today at 1-888-836-5975 or contact us online for a free initial case consultation.