Chicago Motorcycle Accidents Due to Opened Car Doors
Opening a car door into oncoming traffic can catapult a motorcyclist dozens of yards down the pavement. It is impossible to overemphasize how deadly such a mistake can be. The only good news that could possibly come out of such an event is that you are probably entitled to more compensation than you realize.
Don’t Allow Yourself to Be Taken Advantage Of
Most motorcycle accident claims are paid out by insurance companies. Unfortunately, auto insurance companies are for-profit enterprises who lose money every time they pay a claim. Instead of the compassion and sympathy that you need right now, you are more likely to receive a bag full of cheap tricks from the insurance company. You need an aggressive lawyer.
There Is No Substitute for Results
At Malman Law, the word “results” doesn’t mean “eloquent legal arguments” – it means money in the bank and we know how to get it:
- We’ve been practicing personal injury law continuously since 1994
- 95 percent of our clients receive compensation, mostly through private settlements
- We have served over 15,000 winning clients
- Opposing parties have transferred over $200,000,000 to our clients
Insurance companies know us, and they know about our track record. It can make a real difference when you tell them that you have selected Malman Law to represent you.
“Two years ago, I was involved in a trucking accident involving a 14-wheeler truck that nearly disabled me for life. Steve fought to make sure that I received the most possible compensation for my injuries. I was about to take the insurance company’s lowball offer, but decided to call Steve first – it was the best decision I’ve made yet.” – Malman Law Client
Practice Areas Related to Motorcycle Accidents
Malman Law handles the following types of motorcycle accident claims, among others:
- Chicago Motorcycle Accidents Due To Unsafe Lane Changes
- Chicago Motorcycle Accidents Due To Speeding
- Chicago Motorcycle Accidents Due To DUI
- Chicago Motorcycle Accidents Due To Sudden Stops
- Head Injuries From Motorcycle Accidents In Chicago
- Road Rash From Motorcycle Accidents In Chicago
- Muscle Damage From Motorcycle Accidents In Chicago
- Bikers Arm From Motorcycle Accidents In Chicago
- Leg Injuries From Motorcycle Accidents In Chicago
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can the IRS tax my settlement?
Generally not. The only parts of your recovery that the IRS can tax are:
- punitive damages (if you receive them, and most claimants don’t); and
- interest charges on your compensation that accumulate between the day you are injured and the day you receive compensation.
You might also be charged if you took a tax deduction based on medical expenses that you were reimbursed for.
Who is likely to be liable for an opened-door motorcycle accident?
One or more of the following parties:
- The driver of the vehicle.
- A passenger who opened the door.
- The driver’s employer, if the driver opened the door and he was on-duty at the time of the accident.
- The manufacturer of the vehicle, if a defect in the door caused it to pop open or remain open when it should have clicked shut.
- The motorcyclist, if he was partially responsible for the accident (by lane-splitting, for example). In this case, Illinois comparative fault rules would apply.
What kind of evidence will I need to gather?
You are likely to need the following:
- A police report of the accident
- Photographs of the accident scene
- Eyewitness testimony
- Medical records
- Medical treatment bills
- Proof of lost earnings
Other items might also be required.
What are the most common injuries suffered by motorcyclists in open-door accidents?
Opened-door accidents are likely to be far more devastating for a motorcyclist than for a motorist. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
- Bone fractures
- Permanent disfigurement
- Nerve damage
Empty Pockets? No Problem
At Malman Law, we don’t play the “billable hours” game. Since we win 95 percent of the time, we’re prepared to make this offer – either you win your claim or we work for free. Because we don’t think you should have to work for nothing, you will never owe us a dime until your compensation is already in the bank.
Injured by an Opened Car Door? The Sooner You Act, the Better Your Chances Will Be
Motorcycle accident claims weaken over time – witness memories become foggy, evidence deteriorates, and the statute of limitations clock keeps on ticking. Act decisively by calling Malman Law today at 1-888-836-5975 or by completing our online form, and we will schedule you a free consultation to discuss your case.