Joliet’s Established Attorneys Serving Victims of Nursing Home Negligence
Joliet, Illinois, straddling Kendall and Will counties, sits close enough to Chicago for an easy day trip, but far enough away to avoid many of its urban ills. Over the past two decades quite a number of our personal injury clients have called Joliet home – especially in the neighborhoods of Riverside, Big Timber, Emerald Lawns, and Brighton Lakes.
While the majority of our Joliet clients came to us after suffering common but tragic personal injuries from motorcycle accidents, slip and fall accidents, and the like – some of them told us far darker tales. This would involve stories of abuse of their loved ones at the hands of the very people entrusted with their care in their declining years. And we feel anger every time it happens.
A Tradition of Excellence
At Malman Law, we believe that our track record speaks for itself.
- 20,000 successful clients since 1994
- A 95 percent success rate
- Over $200,000,000 in compensation collected for our clients
Unlike many lawyers who run “jack of all trades” practices, we practice only one activity – seeking compensation for victims of personal injury.
Nursing homes are concerned about their reputations, and fight hard to avoid liability. Insurance companies aren’t any better, because their profits come from denying or minimizing claims. Fortunately, we have been negotiating nursing home abuse claims for decades now, and we know just how to handle these people. Let us do the negotiating for you.
A Word from a Satisfied Client
Nursing home abuse and neglect
Steve and Kelly were great! The entire process moved much faster than we thought it would. We received a nice size settlement.
I would highly recommend Malman Law!
– Susan January 16, 2015
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
Following are a few of the kinds of cases that we handle. Keep in mind that this is only a partial list.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1) Can a nursing home be held liable for the wrongful acts of their employees?
Yes. In Illinois, as elsewhere in the United States, employees are considered the agents of their employers, and employers can be held liable for employee negligence under the legal principle of respondeat superior. What this means in practice is that you can file your claim against the nursing home instead of an employee who probably lacks the means to pay a sizeable judgment.
2) Is there a damages cap on compensation for a nursing home abuse claim?
In Illinois, punitive damages are limited in nursing home abuse. No punitive damages can be awarded for a wrongful death claim against a nursing home, and punitive damages are strictly limited for personal injury claims. There is no formal cap on compensatory damages.
3) What kinds of damages are available in a wrongful death lawsuit based on nursing home abuse?
Illinois courts enjoy wide discretion to award damages in wrongful death actions based on whatever amount the court considers fair and just. A court can, for example, award damages for:
- Emotional trauma, to the surviving spouse and next of kin
- Loss of care and companionship, to the surviving spouse and next of kin
- Funeral and burial expense reimbursement, to the deceased victim’s probate estate
- Other amounts, depending on the circumstances
4) My loved one is incompetent and cannot pursue a nursing home abuse claim. Can I pursue the claim on her behalf?
You can file a nursing home abuse lawsuit for your loved one if:
- she granted you durable power of attorney before he/she became incompetent (the power of attorney must be “durable”), or
- a court appointed you her legal guardian.
Our Zero Fee Guarantee
At Malman Law, we don’t bill our clients by the hour. Our fee system is structured so that, in effect, it is the defendant who pays our fees. We charge you nothing up front, and our bill doesn’t come due until your compensation check arrives. The amount you pay is calculated as a percentage of the amount you recover. If we don’t recover compensation for you, you will owe us nothing.
Act Without Delay to Protect Your Loved One; Contact A Savvy Joliet Lawyer
Acting quickly to pursue your nursing home abuse claim can help put a stop to the abuse of your loved one, and it can hasten the day that he or she receives just compensation. Call us anytime 24/7 at 1-888-836-5975 or contact us online for a free initial consultation. If you cannot make it to our office, we can come to meet you.