Experienced Accident and Injury Attorneys Handling Personal Injury Claims for Victims in the Chicago Area
When a person is injured by another person or entity, and that injury is the result of negligence, a personal injury claim may be warranted. Although accidents are common, negligence has occurred when a person fails to do what another reasonable person would have done under the same circumstances. As many as half of all personal injury claims are the result of an auto accident – this includes truck, motorcycle, bus, train, boat, pedestrian, bicycle and ATV accidents.
The remainder of personal injury claims is made up of medical malpractice injuries, product liability or dangerous drug injuries, slip and falls, and “other” injuries – such as dog bites, nursing home abuse, or construction accidents. While many people believe that a significant number of personal injury claims are frivolous in nature, in reality, most personal injury suits are the result of moderate to severe injuries.
How Your Illinois Personal Injury Claim Will Proceed
While there is no such thing as an “average” personal injury lawsuit, the vast majority of personal injury cases will end through a settlement agreement rather than litigation. Both sides essentially determine what they believe the case to be worth, taking into consideration what a jury might award, should the case go to trial.
Settlement offers will likely go back and forth for weeks, or even months, after similar cases are looked at to determine the average damage award. Any unique circumstances will be factored in, and, on the insurance company’s side, they will look at their list of predetermined settlement amounts based on injury levels and type of accident. If no amount can be agreed upon by both sides, then litigation is inevitable.
Illinois Facts Regarding Personal Injury
There are some basic facts regarding personal injury cases, including:
- A quick settlement offer from an insurance company will most always undervalue your claim;
- Ensuring that you have an experienced Chicago personal injury attorney by your side can significantly alter the outcome of your case;
- Personal injury cases rarely settle quickly, and if the case goes to trial, expect it to take up to two years to resolve;
- Personal injury cases which go to trial are likely to receive a larger settlement; and
- It is crucial that you contact a personal injury attorney quickly, to allow for the attorney to collect evidence to support your claim while it is still available.
Best Reasons to Hire a Chicago Personal Injury Attorney
Although many people feel that they will end up with more money if they handle their personal injury claim on their own, in fact, settlements are apt to be much larger when a personal injury attorney is part of the equation. Insurance companies will often make a quick, low settlement with unrepresented clients, but are aware that an experienced personal injury attorney knows what a fair settlement really is. Additional reasons to have an Illinois personal injury attorney in your corner, from start to finish, include:
- The justice system can be quite confusing for a layperson, even one who has diligently read legal books related to his or her personal injury claim.
- Personal injury attorneys, on the other hand, are knowledgeable about the specific laws and statutes of limitations associated with your specific accident and injuries.
- Much of the stress associated with your personal injury claim can be alleviated by having a personal injury attorney. While you are dealing with trying to heal from your injuries, your attorney can take care of the legal details.
- Insurance companies know that a plaintiff who is well-represented will not be pushed around or accept a low settlement.
- Having an attorney who is both a skilled negotiator and an aggressive litigator is often the catalyst needed to push the insurance company into offering a fair settlement.
- Your Chicago personal injury attorney has a history of working with the judges and other attorneys who could be involved in your case, and will work hard to obtain the justice that you deserve.
Damages Associated with Your Illinois Personal Injury Claim
While the specific damages in any personal injury case depend on the facts surrounding the accident and subsequent injuries, damages will be based on the following:
- The level of negligence on the part of the defendant;
- The seriousness of the plaintiff’s injuries;
- Whether medical expenses will be ongoing;
- Whether the plaintiff lost work because of the injuries;
- Whether the plaintiff will ever return to work;
- Whether ongoing pain and suffering is a factor, and
- Whether the defendant acted intentionally or maliciously.
Economic damages are awarded to compensate the plaintiff for specific monetary losses, such as medical expenses and lost wages. Non-economic damages compensate plaintiffs for losses which negatively impact his or her life, yet are hard to place an exact dollar figure on, such as pain and suffering or emotional distress. Punitive damages are only awarded when the behavior of the defendant was especially malicious or reckless.
Contact Our Chicago Injury Lawyers
At Malman Law, our Chicago injury attorneys are proud to represent injured accident victims in Chicago or anywhere in the state of Illinois. Our injury attorneys are available 24/7 to help you with any questions or concerns that you may have. Please call us at (888) 307-7068 or fill out our free online consultation form today. We are ready to fight for you!