In many instances, birth injuries are a direct result of a medical mistake that is made by a doctor, nurse, midwife, or another medical professional during the birthing process. If your child has suffered a birth injury, it is important that you immediately take steps to learn whether medical negligence or malpractice contributed to the injury.
The Chicago personal injury attorneys at Malman Law will take steps to investigate the circumstances, and if necessary, assist you with taking legal action against a negligent health care provider. Our legal team is committed to helping you pursue the compensation that you and your child deserve from a serious medical mistake. Please call us today at (312) 629-0099 or contact us online to learn more about how we can help you throughout the process.
Medical Errors that can Lead to Birth Injuries
There are many types of medical errors that can lead to a birth injury. The saddest part about these injuries is that many are totally preventable and can result from negligence committed by a healthcare provider, midwife, or some other individual. The most common medical errors that can result in a serious birth injury include the following:
- Misusing a tool that is involved in the birthing process, such as forceps or a vacuum extractor
- Failing to monitor the condition of the mother and the baby during the time immediately following the child’s birth
- Miscommunications that occur between nurses and doctors about what to do or how to handle a certain medical situation
- Complications involved with a child’s premature delivery
- Prescribing the child’s mother a certain medication without taking the medication’s possible side effects into account
- Administering the incorrect medication dosage for the mother during the delivery process
- Failing to timely address instances of fetal distress, bleeding, or cases where the child becomes entangled in the umbilical cord
- Misdiagnosing, failing to diagnose, or failing to respond to issues that occur during a pregnancy, including gestational diabetes, infections, and hypertension that is induced by the pregnancy
Common Birth Injuries that may Result from Medical Negligence
- Intracranial hemorrhage or swelling, which results from head trauma or an insufficient amount of oxygen in the child’s bloodstream and which can lead to permanent brain damage
- Cerebral palsy, which can result from a lack of oxygen to the child’s brain or other brain trauma during the birthing process, and which can cause vision, speech, and hearing problems, along with slow-to-develop muscular coordination and motor skills
- Spinal cord injuries, which can result from the infant’s spinal cord becoming compressed while being delivered and which may lead to brain damage and/or paralysis
Speak to a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer Today
The legal team at Malman Law can investigate a suspected birth injury case and assist you with pursuing legal action against a negligent healthcare provider. To schedule a free case evaluation and legal consultation with a Chicago personal injury attorney, please call us at (312) 629-0099 or contact us online for more information.