If you are new to the state or have never really paid attention to the Illinois state motorcycle laws, there is no time better than the present to learn them. After all, who else would you want to learn from than an Illinois motorcycle accident lawyer? The truth is these laws are in place to keep you safe, not to ticket you for no good reason. As a long time Chicago motorcycle accident attorney we have represented a variety of clients and you would be surprised to know most of them did not know all of the laws. With the nice weather finally starting in Chicagoland, we thought this would be a perfect time to brush up on staying safe and legal on your motorcycle.
So before you fire up your bike for the first ride of Spring, be sure to memorize these laws:
On the Road
- Daytime use of headlight required
- Modulating headlight permitted
- Handgrips must be below head height
- Eye protection required unless equipped with windscreen
- Helmet speakers for communication only
- No lane splitting in Illinois
- Muffler cannot be modified to amplify or increase noise
- No passenger age restriction
Off the Road
- Eye protection not required
- Headlight not required
- No limit on maximum sound level
- No muffler required
- No safety helmet required
- Registration is still required
- Vehicle title still required
Although most of our interaction with motorcycle riders is about broken bones, burns, or life threatening injuries, we are always trying to inform our clientele and want everyone to be safe this season. As a motorcycle owner you understand the dangers you all face on a daily basis and we feel it is our job as Illinois motorcycle accident lawyers to make all of the laws crystal clear to you in order to promote legal and safe riding. And if you have never contacted a lawyer about your rights before, right now may be a good time.
If you feel your rights have been violated or you have been in an accident be sure to call a Chicago motorcycle accident attorney immediately. As with any accident on the road you are going to want your legal representation to get started right away to have every single detail available to them. The consultation is free – call today.