If you have been injured, the first and most important step is seeking medical attention. After that, your next priority should be speaking with a Chicago personal injury attorney regarding your injuries and the accident that led to them. Individuals who have suffered from injuries often wait until it is necessary to talk to an attorney, but by then the statute of limitations could have passed or the evidence for their case may have significantly weakened.
5 Reasons to Contact an Attorney Immediately
If you have been injured, there are five reasons you shouldn’t wait to speak to an attorney. These reasons include:
- The statute of limitations or government tort claims are strict deadlines you must follow. The statute of limitations is the legal amount of time you have to file your personal injury claim. If you do not file that claim within the set timeframe, you lose the right to seek compensation for your injuries – even if the other party was responsible for causing them. Also, if you are filing a claim against a government agency, you are subject to follow the Tort Claims Acts, which often uses accelerated deadlines for filing your claim.
- Evidence is easily lost or destroyed as time passes. The longer you wait to file your claim, the less likely there will be evidence available for your case. Evidence is what strengthens your claim and without it, you may find yourself having to accept a lesser settlement or your claim may even be rejected. Some evidence that can be preserved includes physical evidence, witness statements and proof of your injuries.
- Your memory will fade as time goes on too. The longer you wait to file a personal injury claim the less likely it is that you will remember every detail of the case. Often small details make a big difference in a personal injury claim; therefore, forgetting those details could dramatically impact the outcome of your case.
- You could miss out on the opportunity to settle faster. When you file a claim early on, the settlement is often quicker because the insurer wants to seek a settlement rather than deal with the expenses of going to court. Negotiating your settlement quickly and fairly early on is easier – because you will have evidence present to prove your claim is valid.
- You will have added peace of mind and protection while recovering from your injuries. Sometimes having a professional there to guide you and help you through the process is what matters most. While you worry about recovering from your injuries, an attorney can start filing your claim and seeking compensation – so that you do not have to worry about anything except your health.
Contact Malman Law Regarding Your Injury – Do Not Wait
If you have been injured, contact the personal injury attorneys at Malman Law today. We can assist you with your claim. We offer free consultations, so get started by contacting an attorney online or by calling 888-625-6265 now.