Experienced Tort Lawyers Defending the Rights of the Seriously Injured in the Chicago Area
From a legal standpoint, the term “tort” is what refers to personal injury. When you have a tort injury, you need a tort lawyer (or, a personal injury attorney). It is important to consider all factors when hiring a tort attorney. This is because you need an attorney who can assess your case, defend your rights, and ensure that you receive compensation for your injuries.
What is a Tort?
Torts are civil acts of wrongdoing that cause injury to one person from another. Because torts are civil cases, they come with a result of financial compensation. The amount of compensation ultimately depends on the circumstances of the injury and case, but could range from several thousand to several million.
Tort cases are based on the fact that the person responsible should be held accountable for their actions. Negligence is the basis of most tort claims – though intentional acts could be considered as well.
How Do You Choose a Tort Lawyer?
Doing your due diligence is critical when you are seeking legal representation. The right attorney can make the process as stress-free as possible and even manage to give you the time you need to recuperate – while they focus on getting compensation. If you are seeking a tort attorney, here are a few critical factors to consider:
- Find an attorney based on your tort. If you have a car accident injury, look for an attorney who has experience handling car accidents. There are also some attorneys who have more experience in particular injury types – such as attorneys who offer services to those with a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or birth injury.
- Research the attorney. Never pick the first tort attorney whom you find online or in the phone book. Instead, research him or her and look for information about the bar association, other professional organizations to which he or she belongs, awards that he or she has received, etc. Get to know the attorney as much as possible before scheduling your consultation.
- Get the most out of your initial meeting. Most tort attorneys will offer an initial consultation. Some are free, while others charge. The money is not the issue here. Instead, it is the feeling you walk away with. You should feel positive, confident, and like you can trust your attorney. If you cannot trust your lawyer or if you feel as though he or she did not listen to you, these are red flags that you should look for services elsewhere.
- Meet with the team that will be handling your case. While you may meet with one attorney for the consultation, that attorney may not be the primary contact on your case. So, be sure to ask who will be assisting, who you will contact with questions, and who will be representing you in court.
- Avoid attorneys who make promises. While an attorney can promise to will do everything he or she can, you do not want to use an attorney who guarantees a settlement or any type of outcome. The area of tort law is extremely unpredictable – so anyone who claims to have guaranteed results is not a professional.
Malman Law – Recognized, Trusted Tort Attorneys
If you have suffered a serious injury, come meet with the attorneys at Malman Law. We are here to work as your advocates to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation available to you. Schedule a consultation today by calling us or requesting more information online.