Compassionate Chicago Lawyer Serving Spinal Cord Injury Victims
Personal injuries can be extremely minor or they can be so severe that they change your entire life. A spinal cord injury can affect victims for the rest of their lives. When spinal cord injuries aren’t detected and treated right away, it can affect the victim in devastating ways.
If you or your loved one received a spinal cord injury because of a personal injury accident in which you weren’t at fault, you need to call an attorney with experience in dealing with spinal cord injuries. Doctors, hospital stays, surgeries, medications, medical equipment, lost wages, and pain and suffering are just a few of the ways that a spinal cord injury can affect your life. You may not be able to work or you may be paralyzed. You need an attorney who is compassionate toward your needs during the time it takes for you to recover, and who can also zealously advocate on your behalf. The job of a spinal cord injuries lawyer is to make the life of a victim a little bit easier.
What Causes Spinal Cord Injuries?
Spinal cord injuries (SCI) can happen from any sort of accident. Victims may lose feeling in their body or the ability to move one or more body parts, depending on the severity of the injury. The most common causes of spinal cord injuries are:
- Car wrecks
- Motorcycle accidents
- Slip and falls
- Pedestrians who are hit by a vehicle
- Accidents that occur during sports
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
Some spinal cord injuries can affect you more than others, but all of them have the potential to cause extreme pain and cause your body to change. You may need physical therapy or follow-up care for the rest of your life. You may need money to help pay for these expenses, your inability to work, and to compensate for what you’ve gone through. Common types of spinal cord injuries include:
- Contusions to the spine
- Fractures in the back
- Broken back
- Herniated disc
- Fractured vertebra
- Inability to sexually perform
- Inability to control the bladder
- Inability to control the bowl
Negligence and Spinal Cord Injuries
Many spinal cord injuries are caused because of car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. Often, these accidents are caused by the negligence of someone else. This means that someone did or didn’t do something and that caused someone to get hurt.
Negligence is a cause of action. This means that if you’ve received a spinal cord injury because of someone’s negligence, you may be able to file a lawsuit to be compensated for your injuries. Negligence, like any legal standard, has elements that must be met. If you’ve received a spinal cord injury and you believe it was caused by the negligence of another person, call Malman Law right away. You only have two years from the date of your injury to file your claim.
- A legal duty must exist. For instance, everyone has a legal duty to drive sober.
- The legal duty must be breached. If someone were to drive after drinking enough alcohol to be legally intoxicated, this would be a breach of the legal duty. Taking prescription medication can also cause someone to be over the legal limit.
- An actual injury must occur because of the breach. It’s not enough that the legal duty is breached. An actual injury must happen. A wreck that causes an injury or property damage must occur. An actual injury is defined as something that is physical (such as a spinal cord injury), mental, or is categorized as property damage.
- Proximate cause must exist. This is often referred to as the “but-for” test. “But-for the defendant driving while over the legal limit and running a red light, the plaintiff would not have suffered from a spinal cord injury when the defendant’s car hit the plaintiff.”
Call a Spinal Injuries Lawyer Serving Chicago Victims Now
Spinal cord injuries are extremely serious. You may be unable to work. You may recover, but need therapy, surgery, or even a wheelchair. Don’t wait. Call us right away.
Although that wasn’t a full list of spinal cord injuries, you can see just how much your life can be affected. These injuries are extremely serious. Get the help and compensation that you deserve. Call an expert spinal cord injuries attorney at Malman Law. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Don’t wait. Call us now to book your free consultation or contact us online. We want to help you get back to your life as best you can with your spinal cord injury.