Experienced Chicago Lyft Accident Lawyers
Lyft is one of the most prominent among the relatively recent phenomenon of online ridesharing companies that are causing great distress in the traditional taxi industry. Of course, this distress arises for economic reasons, unlike the stress that arises in someone who is injured in a Lyft traffic accident. Unfortunately, economic issues also arise in auto accident injury cases.
Economic distress is the last problem you need to be dealing with while you are recovering from a traffic accident. Financially, of course, you are in a much better position if the accident was someone else’s fault because it is easier to win compensation that way. Even a valid personal injury claim won’t enforce itself. However, it must be pursued with skill and determination. It is critical to have an experienced Chicago Lyft Accident Lawyers on your side.
Who Should I File My Claim Against?
Lyft accidents can sometimes raise complex questions of liability. It is difficult (if not impossible) to sue Lyft itself for a Lyft accident. To win, you would have to show that the company was itself at fault in some way and that this fault actually caused the accident that injured you. Who you seek compensation from depends on who you are and how you were involved in the accident.
- If you are a Lyft driver, the source of your compensation depends on whether the accident was your fault, whether your app was on, and whether you were on assignment. In the best-case scenario, your Lyft insurance will compensate you.
- If you were a Lyft passenger during the accident, the source of your compensation is likely to depend on whose fault the accident was.
- If you are another motorist, your compensation is likely to depend on whether the accident was your fault, whether the Lyft driver’s app was on, and whether the Lyft driver was on assignment.
“Two years ago, I was involved in a trucking accident involving a 14-wheeler truck that nearly disabled me for life. Steve fought to make sure that I received the most possible compensation for my injuries. I was about to take the insurance company’s lowball offer, but decided to call Steve first – it was the best decision I’ve made yet.” – Malman Law Client
Related Practice Areas
The following are some of our related areas of practice:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I file a claim against my personal auto liability insurance policy for an accident that occurred while my Lyft app was on?
You probably can’t, because most personal auto insurance policies won’t cover “commercial activities,” including driving with your app on – even with no assignment. Check the terms of your policy to make sure. Feel free to call us and speak with a knowledgeable Chicago Lyft Accident Lawyers to ask about youy case.
What does Lyft driver insurance cover?
Lyft driver insurance covers:
While you are on assignment:
- $1 million liability per accident
- $1 million underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage
- Collision and comprehensive coverage only if you already have personal policies covering the same
While your Lyft app is on but you have no assignments:
- $50,000/person, $100,000/accident, $25,000 property damage, but only if your personal insurance covers less than this
- Collision and comprehensive insurance, only if you already have the same personal auto insurance policies
Where are the loopholes in coverage?
Gaps in Lyft coverage include the following:
- Damage to a Lyft driver’s car for an accident that occurred while his app was on without an assignment
- Personal injury to a Lyft driver without an assignment, if the accident was the Lyft driver’s fault
Should I sue or settle?
A settlement is an ideal resolution for a number of reasons. Nevertheless, you have to be prepared to go to court rather than accept an inadequate settlement offer. Most vehicle accident claims are resolved through settlement.
Your Legal Bills Come out of the Opposing Party’s Pocket – or We Work for Free
Feel free to contact us no matter how broke you may be. At Malman Law, we won’t bill you a dime, ever, unless you win your claim. Even then, your bill will be strictly proportional to the amount you win and actually receive. We can afford to do this because we win 95 percent of the time. 15,000 of our former clients, who have won hundreds of millions of dollars, can testify to that.
The Moving Finger Writes…
…and having written, moves along. Don’t let the glue of circumstance harden around your feet. If you have been injured in a Lyft accident in Chicagoland that wasn’t (mostly) your fault, telephone us today at 1-888-836-5975 or simply fill in our online contact form, and we will schedule you a free initial case consultation with one of our Chicago Lyft Accident Attorneys.