Compassionate Talcum Powder Injury Lawsuit Attorney
Serving all of Chicago, Illinois
In February 2016, a jury awarded $72 million to Jackie Fox, an Alabama mother who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer after using Johnson & Johnson baby powder products for a number of decades. Although Fox had passed away from her disease during the legal proceedings, her son finished the case, finally finding justice for his lost mother.
Sadly and shockingly, Fox is just one of an untold number of American women who thought that using talcum powder as a feminine hygiene product was safe. But the truth is that numerous studies over the past 30 years have correlated talc with ovarian cancer – and that behemoth companies like Johnson & Johnson have not done nearly enough to warn consumers or prevent more cancer deaths.
At Malman Law, we understand the anger, stress, sadness, confusion, and worry that comes with a cancer diagnosis that could and should have been prevented. We deeply believe that medical and pharmaceutical companies should be held fully accountable for their negligent actions, and that their victims should be fully compensated for all damages, including:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
The Facts: The Link Between Talcum Powder & Ovarian Cancer
Over the last four decades, organizations including the American Cancer Society (ACS) and the World Health Organization (WHO) have voiced concerns about the safety of talcum powder when used as a personal hygiene product for women. These concerns were based on the results of 16 separate studies, including:
- In 1982, a study published in the journal Cancer found significant elevated risk for ovarian cancer among women who used talc on the perineum or on sanitary napkins.
- A 1989 study published in the British Journal of Cancer found that talcum powder was associated with a higher risk of ovarian cancer, along with hysterectomy and hormonal birth control use.
- A 1997 study published in Cancer not only found a strong correlation between baby powder and ovarian cancer, but also a link between duration of talcum powder use and cancer.
- A 1998 study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology looked at the lives of over 700 women, and determined that the use of genital talc powders was likely a factor in ovarian cancer.
- A 2003 meta-analysis of 16 different studies over 30 years published in Anticancer Research found that, when considering a pool of almost 12,000 women, talcum powder increased the risk of ovarian cancer by 33 percent.
Despite a large amount of evidence to the contrary, Johnson & Johnson still insists that their product “meets the highest quality, purity and compliance standards,” and that ovarian cancer is a complex disease with no known causes.
Fight Back With Women Across The Country
According to the Associated Press, there are currently more than 1,200 civil suits pending against Johnson & Johnson related to its talcum products, including Johnson’s Baby Powder and Johnson & Johnson’s Shower to Shower Absorbent Baby Powder. In all of these cases, women have used baby powder for personal hygiene for years, with no knowledge that there is scientific data showing it to be a carcinogen.
These women are not greedy, litigation-happy, or looking for a payday. These women are fighting for their lives – and determined to make Johnson & Johnson responsible for their actions (and inactions) regarding baby powder.
What do we want your talcum powder lawsuit to achieve?
- To reimburse you for your past and future medical costs stemming from your cancer.
- To punish Johnson & Johnson for its negligence.
- To get all talcum powder products to carry a warning label regarding cancer.
- To get justice for the victims of talc-caused cancer.
- To find peace for the victims of talc-caused cancer, as well as their surviving family members.
Filing a talcum powder lawsuit doesn’t just help you and your family in the wake of your diagnosis, but it helps hold pharmaceutical companies responsible for their actions. It also prevents what happened to you from happening to other women.
Meet Your Attorney: Steven J. Malman
Attorney Steven J. Malman has over 25 years of experience as an attorney in Chicago, and has handled over 20,000 cases regarding personal injury, medical malpractice, neglect, product liability, and wrongful death. All in all, he and his growing legal team have secured hundreds of millions of dollars in damages for his clients.
More than anything else, Steven Malman is passionate about helping families and individuals who have been mistreated, injured, and otherwise harmed by large corporations. His legal career and everyday actions reflect his strong commitment to helping those who need it most, and to finding justice after wrongdoing.
Steven Malman and Malman Law treat their clients and cases with compassion, attention, and respect – and they truly believe that their relationships with clients are partnerships.
Talk To A Lawyer. Tell Your Story. Get The Compensation That You Deserve.
Do not continue to wonder if you have a talcum powder case, or if you deserve justice and compensation.
Whether you have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, or whether you have lost a loved one to ovarian cancer, call us today and tell us your story. We want to hear from you.
To schedule a free, private consultation and case review, we invite you to call our offices or fill out our quick contact form. Take action today.