If you were injured while on set or during a performance or audition, you may be entitled to medical, disability, and other benefits. At Malman Law, we help injured actors and actresses in Chicago file successful claims for workers’ compensation.
Acting is a physically demanding job. Performers in all disciplines – both on stage and on screen – often face intense pressure, grueling hours, and risks that can put their bodies in harm’s way. At Malman Law, we are committed to helping injured actors and actresses in the Chicago area secure fair compensation when they get injured on the job. Whether you are eligible for workers’ compensation or a negligent third party is responsible for your injury, our attorneys will fight to make sure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Compensable Injuries
As a screen actor, theater performer, dancer, stuntman or woman, or other artistic performer or entertainment professional, your career involves physically demanding activities on a near-daily basis. When you are focused on your performance, you put your trust in others to make sure that your working conditions are safe and do not put you at-risk for a serious injury. This includes not only providing safe sets and stages, but maintaining reasonable working hours as well.
Unfortunately, not all film and production companies meet these obligations. In fact, dangerous locations and overworking are two of the most common causes of work-related injuries for actors and actresses in the Chicago area. Unsafe working conditions frequently lead to injuries such as:
- Overexertion – Common overexertion injuries include things like sprains and strains, muscle tears, and vocal cord injuries. Overexertion injuries can result from working long hours, as well as performing strenuous movements, reading lines, and singing repeatedly over the course of multiple rehearsals or several takes on set.
- Slips and Falls – Slip-and-fall injuries are extremely common among stage and screen performers. While actors and actresses can fall even on clean, dry floors, in many cases slips and falls are the result of being asked to perform on wet, waxy, snowy, uneven, cracked, and unstable premises.
- Collisions and Impacts – Actors, actresses, and other performers also frequently suffer injuries in collisions with other performers in the theater or on set. Impacts with stage props, cameras, lights, falling debris, and other objects can cause serious injuries as well.
- Secondary Injuries from Fatigue – Working long hours, many performers suffer from extreme fatigue. Being fatigued puts performers at greater risk for suffering many different types of injuries.
- Sunburns and Exposure – Severe sunburns and other types of exposure-related injuries are serious risks both during the summer and on snowy sets during Chicago winters. If you suffered sunburns or other exposure injuries because you were forced to work long hours outdoors, you may be able to claim compensation for your treatment expenses and other losses.
At Malman Law, we represent performers who have suffered all types of job-related injuries. If you have been injured in the Chicago area, call us so that we can help you stand up for your legal rights.
What To Do If You Have Been Injured On Set
After suffering a job-related injury, there are some important steps that you need to try to take to preserve your chances of securing compensation. Most importantly, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. You will need to obtain a thorough diagnosis, and you will generally want to get started with your treatment (whether that involves rest, surgery, or rehabilitation) right away.
Note, however, that if you are eligible for workers’ compensation, you may need to see a doctor who has been pre-approved by your employer. If you contact us now, we can help you figure out where to go to seek treatment for your injury.
Depending on your employment status and the cause of your injury, you may have a handful of different options for pursuing financial compensation. When we meet with you for your free initial consultation (one of our lawyers will come to you if you can’t make it to our offices downtown), we will explore all of your options and develop a case strategy designed to help you obtain a full financial recovery.
Contact Malman Law for a Free Consultation
As an actor or actress, job-related injuries are serious matters. At Malman Law, we can help you protect your rights and secure necessary compensation for your losses. To learn more, schedule a free, confidential consultation by calling (888) 675-9854 or submitting our online request form today.