There is a reason that dogs are known as man’s best friend. They can be wonderful pets and companions to individuals and families, and often become an integral part of their owners’ lives. It is important for dog owners to be aware of dog bite laws in Illinois to protect themselves – and their animals – in the event of a dog bite.
Chicago dog bite attorneys are the best resource for determining dog bite liability; however, you need to keep in mind the following instances in which you will be held responsible for a dog bite.
- There is proof that your dog bit an individual.
- There is proof that your dog was unprovoked.
- There is proof that the injured party was legally permitted on the premises where the dog bite occurred.
Keeping the above in mind, here are the best ways to protect yourself and your animal from the law on dog bites:
- Supervise: Never leave your dog unattended. This will prevent your dog from having an opportunity to misbehave. It will also ensure that your dog is unable to be provoked.
- Post Warnings: Make sure you post signs alerting passerby of the presence of a dog on your property. Even if your dog shows no signs of hostility, it is best to forewarn visitors and others that you own a dog.
- Know Your Dog: Figure out what might trigger anxiety or aggressive behavior in your animal and avoid these situations.
Dogs are wonderful pets and a great addition to most families. If dog owners are aware of dog bite law in Illinois and follow the basic tips above, man’s best friend can peacefully coexist with people and avoid dog bites. Unfortunately, dog bites happen even with the most vigilant dog owners. If you or a loved one is dealing with a dog bite situation and wondering about the law on dog bites, contact a Chicago dog bite attorney for assistance.