Free Consultations | Tap To Call Today: 1.888.625.6265

accident involving three carsIf you’ve been in a car accident, you have likely experienced multiple damages. Property damages, medical bills, emotional trauma, and lost wages can be overwhelming and expensive. Insurance exists to help offset or even fully cover these costs. The insurance of the person at fault should cover these damages, but what if that person doesn’t have insurance? This scenario is actually more common than most people think. Even though motorists are required by law to carry minimum collision insurance, some don’t.

Underinsured Vs. Uninsured

If you’ve been hit by an underinsured or uninsured motorist, there is still help. Depending on several factors, including your own insurance policy, you may be able to recoup the majority of associated expenses. If you are involved in any car accident – but especially if the other party is underinsured or uninsured – take the following steps.

  • Obtain the other driver’s insurance information, driver’s license number, plate number, and contact information. In order to collect payment, you will need to contact the other driver. Don’t walk away without this essential information.
  • Contact your insurance company. Your policy most likely has some type of underinsured or uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage kicks in when the driver at fault has inadequate coverage and the damages exceed policy limit, or the driver has no coverage at all.
  • Contact an attorney. Liability is not dependent on insurance coverage. If the other driver is at fault, he or she is liable even if insurance coverage is non-existent. An experienced motor vehicle accident attorney is crucial in this type of situation.

Underinsured and Uninsured Insurance Coverage

If you are hit by an underinsured or uninsured driver, and you only have liability coverage, your insurance policy will not pick up the difference. It is very inexpensive, and wise to add this type of coverage to your policy. A few extra dollars each month can save you thousands if you’re involved in an accident. However, if you choose not to get this coverage, there are still options. One option is to sue the driver for damages. The unfortunate reality is that if the driver couldn’t afford insurance coverage, the chance of recovering significant compensation is relatively low. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t sue, however, because Illinois allows underinsured and uninsured drivers to pay damages through an installment plan. The two parties must agree to this arrangement and both must sign the agreement. If the person making payments defaults, his or her license may be suspended until payments resume.

Malman Law – Chicago Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys

Auto accidents can be financially, physically, and emotionally devastating. At Malman Law, we have successfully obtained compensation for countless victims of auto accidents, including those involving underinsured and uninsured motorists. With over 22 years of experience in personal injury law, Steven J. Malman and his dedicated legal team have the knowledge and talent to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation about your case.

Firm Awards & Recognitions

Steven Malman was selected to the list. The list is issued by the American Institute of Legal Counsel. A description of the selection methodology can be found at

  • Steven Malman was selected to the list. The list is issued by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys. A description of the selection methodology can be found at

  • Steven Malman was selected to the list for 2018-2019.

  • Only the top 100 trial lawyers from each state or highly-populated regions of certain states who are actively practicing in civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense law are eligible for invitation. Invitees must demonstrate superior qualifications, leadership skills, and trial results as a legal professional. The selection process for this elite honor is based on a multi-phase process based upon objective and uniformly applied criteria which includes peer nominations combined with third party research.

    Prospective members of The NTL are carefully screened prior to receiving an invitation for membership.

Client Review

  • "I'm very pleased to recommend Malman Law to my friends and relatives! I have to mention how efficient and professional in dealing with my case has been with everyone that I've been in contact with at Malman Law. Mrs. Sabo is outstanding as well as her secretary and assistant in responding quickly to any of my questions or concerns. This firm has gone above and beyond to keep me updated and get answers to my questions at any time, weekends included! Malman Law rules in my opinion! "

    - Cheryl Wagemann
View More Testimonials

Know Your Rights!

Why People Choose Malman Law

You’ll want our experience on your side.
You’ll want your lawyers to be this good.

  • Credibility & Experience

    20,000+ Cases over 25 Years
  • Track Record of Success

    Over $200,000,000 Collected
  • Team of Litigation Lawyers

    Real Courtroom Experience