Experienced Illinois Personal Injury Lawyers To Handle Your Slip And Fall Case
We’ve all fallen down. In some cases, it’s because we are clumsy or inattentive. In other cases, it is because of the actions or inactions of someone else. In some cases, we bounce back up, brush off some dust, and go on our way. In other cases, we suffer serious injury and require professional medical attention.
Not all slip and fall accidents are serious, and not all slip and fall accidents are due to the negligence of someone else. However, some are. In these instances, it is vital that you understand your rights under the law as a personal injury victim. At Malman Law, we are dedicated to helping those who deserve compensation after a slip and fall or trip and fall incident. Talk to an experienced Chicago premises liability attorney about your case today during a complimentary consultation by calling 888.836.5975.
The Four Types of Slip and Fall Accidents
The iconic slip and fall accident is someone slipping on water on a grocery store floor and injuring themselves as they strike the ground. However, “slip and fall” accidents can take on many forms and can be expanded into four different broad categories:
- Slip and fall accidents occur when a person’s feet come into contact with a slick surface, causing their accident and injury.
- Trip and fall accidents occur when a person trips on an object or an indentation in the ground, causing their accident or injury.
- Step and fall accidents occur when a person steps into a hole, onto a broken board, or into empty space and falls.
- Stump and fall accidents occur when someone stumbles over something on the ground, such as loose carpeting, and falls.
It is important to understand, though, that not all premises liability cases involve tripping and falling. You may have a premises liability case for a wide range of accidents and injuries on another person’s property, including:
- You are struck by a falling object
- You are injured by a water hazard
- You are electrocuted
- You suffer a burn injury
- You are bitten by a dog
- You are injured by an elevator or escalator
- You are assaulted by a person on a property that lacks proper security
Even though some slips and falls result in no injuries or minimal injuries, others can have extremely serious consequences, especially falls onto hard surfaces or falls from height. Slip and fall injuries can include:
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries and spine injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Torn tendons and torn ligaments
- Lacerations and contusions
What is Premises Liability?
Premises liability is a fancy legal term that conveys a relatively simple law: a property owner is responsible for keeping his or her property reasonably safe for visitors. If a property owner fails to keep his or her property reasonably free from hazards, he or she is responsible for any accidents and injuries that take place due to negligence.
If an injury victim can prove the following points, he or she may be able to collect compensation from the property owner to pay for damages, including related medical bill, related future medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Prove that the landowner had an established duty of care to keep his or her property safe for visitors.
- Prove that the landowner breached his or her duty of care by having a hazard on the property.
- Prove that the landowner did or should have known about the hazard on his or her property.
- Prove that the hazard caused the injury victim harm.
Why You May Need an Illinois Slip and Fall Attorney
It can be difficult to understand concepts like premises liability, breach of duty, and injury law. It can also be next to impossible to handle an injury claim while you are trying to recover from your injuries or while you are caring for an injured loved one. The Illinois personal injury attorneys at Malman Law will help you:
- Understand your rights as an injury victim under the law.
- Collect evidence related to your case, including medical documents, photos of the property, and witness statements.
- Calculate your damages in the case, including medical bills, lost wages, and out-of-pocket expenses.
- Create a strategy for filing your claim and getting the compensation that you deserve.
- Help you get the medical attention that you need to recover as much as possible.
Contact Chicago’s Slip and Fall Lawyer
Don’t continue to wonder whether you have a Chicago slip and fall case. Get all of your questions answered by a knowledgeable, experienced attorney. Call Malman Law today at 888.836.5975 or fill out our online contact form to request a free, confidential case review.