Many people in the Chicago area own and ride motorcycles. For some, this is a weekend pursuit and a way to relax while enjoying the beauty of the nearby open roads. For others, a motorcycle is a mode of transportation that offers more efficient gas mileage than a car and is preferable for navigating traffic around the city. While a motorcycle is a smart option for many people, one of the serious dangers of owning a motorcycle is that there is a high risk of serious injury when an accident occurs. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, speak with a Chicago motorcycle accident lawyer right away to learn more about your legal options.
Common Injuries Caused in a Motorcycle Accident
One of the most appealing aspects of riding a motorcycle is that you have nothing between you and the open road, which allows a sense of true freedom, but also heightens the risk of serious injury in the event of an accident. Some of the most common injuries that are sustained include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal injury and paralysis
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Serious sprains and muscle strains
- Soft tissue damage
Reducing the Risk of a Motorcycle Accident
Although it is not possible to predict the actions of the vehicles around you, constantly practicing motorcycle safety can help to reduce the risk of an accident. When you are riding your motorcycle, remember to:
- Wear a helmet – this can dramatically reduce the risk of a TBI and even might save your life. Although Illinois does not require by law that all riders wear a helmet, it is always best to do so.
- Stay visible – many times, other vehicles will claim that they did not see the motorcycle before they collided with them. The more visible you are to the traffic around you, the safer you will be on your motorcycle.
- Wear protective clothing – in the event of an accident, the more protection you have, the better.
- Watch out for distracted drivers – if you notice that a driver near you is looking at their phone, texting, reading a map, or even reaching over to change the radio station, beware. Distracted drivers are one of the biggest hazards to everyone on the road, especially motorcycles.
Accidents happen, and even when you are as careful as you can be, it is not always possible to prevent a serious collision.
Don’t Delay – Contact a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you have been in a motorcycle accident, you know how frustrating and terrifying that can be. When you have sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident and believe that another party is at fault, the situation can seem so much worse. The experienced personal injury lawyers at Malman Law are here to help! We are dedicated to fighting for our clients’ rights to just compensation in the event of a motorcycle accident. Call us today at (312) 629-0099 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation and learn how we can help.