Injuries sustained at retail stores are responsible for thousands of personal injury cases annually, but there are certain steps you should take to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation for negligence. Black Friday is coming up—one of the most popular holidays of the season—so it’s important to know what to do if your pleasant day of shopping comes to an abrupt end because of injuries.
If you are injured, personal injury attorneys will be able to help you recover compensation by building your case.
Tips for Building a Case with a Retail Store
Like many other personal injury cases, including car accidents, you should gather as much evidence as you can to help you when you build your personal injury claim.
- Seek medical assistance. The first thing you should do if you are injured on store property is get treatment for your injuries and a proper diagnosis. Medical records will be invaluable in building a case.
- Speak with any witnesses. One of the most important aspects of a personal injury case is witness testimony. Witnesses help provide consistency and continuity in your case.
- Search for surveillance footage. In many cases, store surveillance cameras serve as crucial witnesses to incidents. Some people have even been awarded millions in compensation because stores were found to have destroyed this evidence.
- Understand the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations determines how long you have to file a claim after experiencing an injury. Limitations vary from state to state, but other variants may include when you discovered your injuries and the type of injuries.
- Prepare for federal court cases. Retail outlets will often attempt to bring personal injury lawyers and their clients to federal court. Federal courts tend to be more lenient towards stores and often award less compensation to claimants.
- Carefully consider settlement offers. If you and your attorney receive a settlement offer, you should take into consideration a number of factors—including the defendant’s monetary resources—before accepting the settlement.
One of the best ways to ensure that you receive the highest compensation available to you by a retail store is to speak with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney. With an attorney, you will be able to build your case more quickly and effectively.